Saturday, May 9, 2015

Carposaurus!

Austin, Jamie, Greg and I along with one of Austin's co-workers set out for an early morning float trip on the New just below the dam.  Between the 5 of us we caught 56 fish.  Most were a mixed bag of smallmouth and red-eyes; however one was whopper of a carp.  I was throwing an in-line spinner below the first bridge on the opposite bank from the state police station in an effort to catch a big smallie, or perhaps a muskie, when something started swimming off with my lure.  It wasn't a real hard hit.  In fact I thought I was snagged on a log at first.  As it became more clear that it was a big fish I set the hook hard and then it was on.  I immediately knew it wasn't a bass by the way it fought.  Swimming deep and peeling drag I thought I had a musky or possibly big catfish.  I was a little under equipped with a medium light rod and 8lb. test line.  It was mildly amusing as the fish pulled me and my kayak around a deep pool in the river.  It looked as if I was propelling myself along with a trolling motor.  After several minutes I was able to land the 13 pound fish; a carp.  Not the biggest of this species, but plenty big enough to give me all I could handle.  It was definitely
the highlight of the trip and a memory I'll hang onto for a while.


No comments: